Friday, December 10, 2010

Speak Up and Do Something

    Today, two amazing ladies talked about their personal struggles with becoming mothers and what they have experienced, on two different daytime talk shows, on two different networks.  On The View, Lisa Ling shared that she experienced a miscarriage recently and how it has affected her. Marissa Jaret Winokur spoke about her battle with cervical cancer and how she made the choice to move forward.




    When Lisa says that she felt like a failure and how she felt so alone, I thought that is the exact feeling I experienced and I believe many others have.  The point she makes about speaking up about miscarriage even though it is a sad topic.  It so therapeutic and comforting to talk about it for the women who have gone through such a loss.  If it's never spoken of, it feels like people are trying to push it under the rug and pretend it didn't happen.  Well, just try and tell me my pregnancy didn't happen!  That my pain doesn't still exist.  I don't want to "suffer silently" anymore.  This blog is giving my emotions a voice.  Lisa has also partnered with Sophia Kim to create the site Secret Society of Women, where women can go and give voice to their untold thoughts on a variety of subjects. 



    I love Marissa.  She has a beautiful spirit about her and you can just tell that she's a huggy, touchy-feeling kinda gal and she would embrace you whole-heartedly.  I love how she said, "you kind of want someone to say, 'You know what, this SUCKS!".  I get so tired of everyone telling me how I SHOULD be happy and to get over it.  What they don't understand is that I have to come to that on my own.  Like how after a week, for her, she decided she needed to be proactive and get out there and take back her life.  Now she has a beautiful little son.  This clip doesn't finish the rest of the segment with her and I wish that it did because she goes on to say, "Don't wait for a tragedy to really embrace your life."  That renewed in me the sense that I still do have a life to be leading.  If I hold myself back what kind of person and future mother would I be?  What kind of example does that set for the children I WILL have someday?  From today forward, I'm going to bring out a better me and do those things I've kept myself from doing.  No holding back.

No comments:

Post a Comment